John Galliano, a well-renowned Fashion designer, said, "the joy of dressing is an art." We agree with him. Choosing a dress that perfectly fits your body type is an art, and guess what? Dressing well is a skill you can quickly learn.
How do I choose a dress style? Every person battles with this question daily. You want to dress appropriately for the occasion, weather, and, most importantly, body type. A perfect dress accentuates your features, making you feel sexy and confident all day.
If you keep asking yourself, how should I dress? Then read on to find out more.
How to Choose a Dress Style for Your Body Type
Selecting a dress for your body type is probably the most crucial. The choice of dress will leave you looking good or like you have just been hit by a truck.
Here we will discuss how you can get acquainted with your structure and flaunt your dream dress. If you wonder which body shape is best for females, then worry not; selecting the right dress is all that matters.
Here we shall describe the four predominant body types: hourglass, pear, athletic, and apple.
#1. Hourglass Body Type
The hourglass figure is curvy with a proportionate top and bottom, and you also have a well-defined waist. The hourglass figure is one to die for; if you have this body type, flaunt it.
Here is how to dress for this body type
- Wear dresses that clinch your waist to accentuate your curves. Go for belts below your belly button or at your natural waistline.
- Choose dresses with a sweetheart or plunge V necklines to flaunt your upper body.
Here are some dresses to avoid
- Shapeless dresses
- Baby doll dresses
- Oversized dresses
- Dresses with an empire waistline.
#2. Pear Body Type
A pear body type is smaller in the upper body but curvier in the lower part of the body. Thanks to Kim Kardashian, everyone is raging about this body type.
If you are lucky to have this body type, here is how to dress for your body type if you are female. You can even create an hourglass illusion with these tips.
- Go for dresses and pants with wide bottoms. So select wide-legged pants and A-line skirts
- A dress with a ruffled or patterned top will add definition to the upper part of the body, creating an hourglass illusion.
- Skinny jeans with loose tops are also ideal for this body type.
- If you want to balance out your bottom, select crop tops, padded jackets, boat necks, V necks, sweetheart, and scoop necks.
Here are some dresses that you should avoid
- Shapeless and oversized styled dresses
- Super short hemlines
- Full poofy skirts
- Curve hugging fabrics.
#3. Athletic Body Type
The athletic body type is also known as the rectangle or square body type. If you have this body type, you have an equal hip-to-bust measurement. Unlike the hourglass body type, the waist is not defined, and weight tends to be more distributed.
The goal of dressing your athletic body type is to enhance your features to give it an hourglass effect.
So here are the tips on how to dress for your body type
- Go for round or sweetheart necklines to give you a curvier appearance on the top.
- Go for off-shoulder necklines. They will make your shoulders wider and thus give an illusion of a smaller waist
- Select dresses that are cinched at the waist to make it look like you have a smaller waist.
Here is what to avoid
- Do not wear hemlines that are too short; they will make your top appear heavier
- If you have a bigger bust, avoid strapless dresses or dresses with spaghetti top
#4. Apple Body Type
Women with an apple body type have a larger bust and fuller midsection. Their waistline is undefined, and often they are less curvier in the bottom section.
Choosing a dress style for this body type draws attention to your upper body. So here are tips on choosing a dress style for this body type.
- Select a dress with deep V necklines to give an impression of an elongated torso.
- Go for dresses that give an illusion of a defined waistline. Choose dresses with belted styles, empire waist, A-line, wrap, and swing dresses.
- Your greatest asset is your legs, so go for shorter dresses.
Avoid dresses that the eye to your midsection, such as
- Fitted tops
- Natural waistlines
- Horizontal lines.
How Should I Choose a Dress Style for My Age?
Many women struggle with choosing the perfect dressing style for their age. It is challenging because numbers are constantly changing, and adjusting your dress is not easy. However, here are some tips to help you choose your dress style.
Dress Style in Your 20s
The fun thing about being in your 20s is that you can experiment with different styles. Use your 20s to wear fun outfits; do not be afraid to experiment with fashion. Also, this is the stage to find out what you like.
Here are some tips
- Try out new trends. Go for crazy distressed jeans, t-shirt dresses, graphic tees, mini dresses and sneakers. But remember to dress according to your body type.
- Invest in a few formal outfits. Remember, you will probably go for many interviews. So add classic heels, pants, skirts and trailer blazers.
- Go for trendy seasonal outfits. A suede weather jacket or a nice wool coat will be a great addition to your closet.
Dress Style in Your 30s
If you haven't figured out your style, this is the perfect age to do that. You can take an online fashion style quiz to find dress styles that are ideal for you.
Go through your closet and toss out the following items
- Super distressed jeans
- Any clothing item from high school
- Anything that's too big or does not fit
- Booty shorts. It's time to get a little bit more sophisticated.
Here is what to go for
- Go for quality outfits. Invest in your wardrobe, which means spending a little more on an outfit in your 20s
- Add some sophistication. Add some chic and classic pieces to balance out your youthful appearance.
Dress Style in Your 40s and 50s
Don't go the grandma look just yet, even if you feel you are going down the hill. Remember, this is the prime of your life. You probably have more money to spare; even if you do not, I will guide you on how to look amazing in your 40s and 50s.
Here are some tips when choosing a dress style for this age
- Go for classic pieces. They will be your best friends if you still love the youthful look. Get some classic white sneakers, chick flats, loafers and blazers.
- Avoid oversized outfits even if you put on some more weight. Select an outfit that will make you look slimmer and accentuate your best features.
- Find a good tailor who will make a massive difference in your appearance.
Dress Style in the 60s and Above
I will still advise you to steer clear of the grandma look, so do not go for small prowl prints and pastels. Go for bright colors and outfits with bold florals.
If you do not want to play safe but go bold, here is what you should consider
- If you haven't found a tailor, it’s time to get one. A tailor will not only find your style but can also alter pre-tailored pieces to fit you better.
- Avoid costumy outfits and stick to classic looks. But do not be afraid to try new trends; just do not go for the super trendy ones.
It is important to know how to dress for your body type if you are female. Knowing your body type will help you select the best dresses. However, if you do not know your body type, you can take the best dress for my body type quiz.